The PPVH Team is available by phone 8:30 am – 5:30 pm Monday through Friday. Our last appointment in the evening is scheduled for 6 pm. We look forward to assisting you with all your veterinary care!

Holiday Hazards

Help your pet(s) enjoy the holidays safely by keeping them away from potential problems. Once you know the hazards, a little precaution and prevention will make the holidays happy for everyone. If you have any concerns or need expert advice, don’t hesitate to reach out to Point Pleasant Veterinary Hospital for guidance and care.

A person and dog on a path
Bones: Turkey, chicken, and other small bones differ significantly from the large bones you find at the pet store. These small bones splinter easily and can cause serious internal damage if swallowed, so NEVER give them to your pet.

Candles: Lighted candles should never be left unattended. Dogs and cats are naturally curious, and they can either burn themselves by the flame or knock the candle over, starting a fire.

Electrical Cords: Holiday lights mean more electrical cords for kittens and puppies to chew. Be sure you have cords secured and out of the way.

Fake grass and Small toys: If swallowed, it can cause your pet to choke and may damage or obstruct their intestines.

Fat: Gravies and poultry skin can cause severe gastrointestinal upset.

Flowers and candy: Many types of flowers and plants found in bouquets harm dogs and cats if ingested. Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, and seizures, and, in severe cases, chocolate poisoning can be fatal.

Fireworks: Fireworks can scare your pets, making them run off or cause serious injuries if detonated near them. Many formulations are also toxic if ingested.

Holiday Plants: Christmas roses, Holly, Lilies, and Mistletoe are all extremely poisonous when eaten. The lovely poinsettia may not be toxic, but its milky white sap and leaves can cause severe gastric distress. With so many hybrid varieties each year, keeping the plants out of your pet’s reach is the best approach.

Holiday Tree: Make sure your tree is well secured. If you have a tree-climbing cat or large dog with a happy tail, anchor the top of the tree to the wall using a strong cord or rope. Preservatives often used in the water in a tree stand can cause gastric upsets, so be sure it is inaccessible or that the preservatives are not used. Avoid sugar and aspirin additives in the water as well.